Best Exercises & Tools to Get Your Butt into Shape
Who doesn’t want to have a great butt?
It doesn’t matter if you’re a girl or guy, having a good butt is looked at as a valuable asset. Make no mistake about it though; a great butt is for more than just turning heads. What are you doing to ensure you are strengthening your glutes?
Let’s take a look at the best exercises you can do for your butt. We’ll also talk about an important tool that you can use to burn fat around your butt and thighs.
Why Your Glutes Are So Important
As mentioned above, your butt isn’t just for show – It’s an important muscle! Here are the top 3 reasons why the glutes are so important.
- Promotes Proper Movement
- Your glutes play a role in all movement.
- Think about it. Every time you kneel, turn, or bend, your glute muscles are involved.
- Supports Other Exercises
- Strong glutes make other exercises easier.
- Having strong glutes also ensures more power and drive with big compound movements such as the squat and deadlift.
- Reduces the Risk of Injury
- Weak glutes can be a hazard for your health. Strong glutes ensure proper posture and decrease the risk of injury from falling.
- What’s more, strong glutes can ensure you don’t injure yourself during compound movements. If you have weak glutes, there’s a higher chance of muscle compensation and straining.
Best Butt Exercises
Here are some of the best glute strengthening exercises. We’ve included a “how-to” video for each as well as the most important notes about performing the movement.
Glute Kickback (Also known as the Donkey Kick)
- Keep the knee of whichever side you are starting with off the ground for the entire set. When you bring your knee back down, do not let it drop. Keep it hovering until the set is over.
- It is important to engage the core throughout the movement to encourage proper form.
- You can perform this same movement on a Glute Kick machine. Be sure to drive with the heel, not the ball, of the foot.
- Do not squeeze your quadriceps (front of the thighs) – The squeeze should come from your glutes. Squeeze your butt together to raise your hips off the ground.
- Keep your core engaged throughout as well. This will help with maintaining proper form.
- Pause at the top then slowly return to the starting position (unless you are doing a conditioning workout as mentioned in the video).
- Try moving slowly at first. Give yourself a chance to feel the muscles working. When you can feel the glute muscles contracting as you slowly step up, pay close attention to it. You will want to focus on contracting the muscles as hard as possible.
- Again, keep your abdominals engaged throughout. This is especially important during the stepping up portion of the movement.
- Pause at the top and before you lower your foot down, make sure your glutes are still engaged.
Support Fat Loss & Muscle Building with Weight Loss Clothing
Along with strengthening, do you want to lose body fat from your butt and thighs? One great tool you can try to increase fat burning is weight loss clothes such as the sauna suit and neoprene weight loss suit. Worn during your workout, neoprene sauna suits have been shown to provide the following benefits:
- Burns up to 13% more calories during exercise
- Elevates EPOC levels up to 22% for hours after your workout (Calories you burn after you stop being active)
- Produces a greater overall weight loss of up to 40%! (1, 2)
If you want to build a great looking butt, try following the exercises mentioned above. We’d recommend performing them twice per week, increasing the difficulty as you progress. Wearing weight loss clothing such as a sauna suit will help you burn more fat during your glutes workout. If you decide to wear a neoprene sauna suit during your workout, we’d recommend starting out at 10 to 15 minutes and working your way up from there.
Let us know about your results!
- Dalleck, Lance. (2015) “Acute Benefits of Exercise with the Kutting Weight® Sauna Suit: Technical Report” Gunnison, CO. Western State Colorado University.
- Dalleck, Lance. (2015) “Chronic Health and Performance Benefits of Exercise with the Kutting Weight® Sauna Suit: Technical Report” Gunnison, CO. Western State Colorado University.